What does this MRI report indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 11 Jan 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello. I've had spasmodic dysphonia for 3 years. All of the usual treatments have been ineffective (Botox, speech therapy, etc) so I've been reviewing research on the pathophysiology of SD in my spare time.

I recently came across this: http://m.brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/131/2/447

I'm hoping a neurologist can explain what this means in simpler terms: "DTI showed right-sided decrease of fractional anisotropy in the genu of the internal capsule and bilateral increase of overall water diffusivity in the white matter along the corticobulbar/corticospinal tract in 20 spasmodic dysphonia patients compared to 20 healthy subjects."

Is this saying that some brain tissue connectivity was different in SD patients?

Also, I recently had an MRI indicating that I have mild white matter disease. Could this white matter disease be an indication of similar abnormalities as found in the research's DTI results?

Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, white matter changes probably related to Spasmodic Dysphonia (SD).

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Genu of the internal capsule, cortico-bulbar and cortico-spinal tracts are all white matter structures of the brain that are involved in impulses signals transmission.

These tracts envoy impulses to musculature, controlling this way several functions including speaking.

So, these findings indicate that there are differences between SD patients and healthy people in white matter pathways that may be responsible for SD.

If white matter issues found on your MRI are similar to these changes, it is necessary to compare the localization of white matter changes between your MRI and these study results.

In other words, if white matter changes in your MRI are localized at genu of internal capsule, cortico-bulbar and spinal tracts, then these changes may be responsible for your SD.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee