What does this MRI report indicate?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My husband had an MRI explain what these results mean>>>>Veterbral Bodies: There is a chronicT4 superior endplate compression deformity with approximately 20% decreased height No edema to suggest acute or subacute fracture there scattered hemangiomas throughout the thoracic spine
Discs central canal and neural formina There is a 0.5 cm right paracentral disc bulge at T8-9 contributing to moderate neuroforaminal narrowing there is a prominent 0.6 cm posterocentral disc protrusion extrusion at T9-10 severely narrowing the central canal and effacing the cord (0.8cm AP dimension) there is a 0.5 cm left paracentral disc protrusion at T10-11 contributing to moderate left neuroforminal narrowing
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Provide more details, MRI report is described in detail

Detailed Answer:
Hello , Welcome to HCM,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

In short, the MRI findings are suggestive of age related changes with disc prolapse.

1) In vertebral body heading--- there is decrease in size of height of vertebra due to degeneration and no sign of infection, malignancy is there.

2) In back region there is disc displacement at multiple levels leading to compression over nerve roots which exit and supply trunk and chest region. The symptoms may be Radicular pain radiating from back to front below nipple area over chest.

I will advise him to get examined by a neurologist and get investigated for vitamin D , calcium, phosphate and myeloma.

Any history of tuberculosis, chronic cough, urinary complains ??

Provide more details to guide you regarding available treatment.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Do get back with further queries.

Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
He has asthma. He has a problem with his kidneys which is called Mild bilateral hydronephrosis. which are going to be checked with camera on the 14th. Do not understand this kidney trouble as he has not compained about the kidney. He does have lots of pain in the back. Explain the wording "effacing the cord"
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated for kidney disease

Detailed Answer:
The investigation and treatment for renal disease is to be continued along with treatment of asthma. Pain killers and some pain modulator drugs to be given with precautions in renal disease.
The effacement of cord means compression of spinal cord by protruding disc leading to narrowing of space for cord.
The back pain may be due to disc disease as well as due to renal disease.
Investigation is required for renal disease.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D