What does this MRI report indicate?

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Constantly have numb feet. Went to a podiatrist who did not know why. Went to an ortho doc who gave me a nerve test and found no damage. Had an MRI done which only showed a slight disc bulge, which was not enough to produce numb feet.
At a loss of what I should do next.
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cause and treatment of numb feet

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. Numbness of feet could be due to many reasons like

:Lumbar disc disease - It has already been ruled out

:Neuropathy - Neuropathy is disease of nerve supplying feet. Neuropathy can be caused by alcohol intake, diabetes mellitus (Sugar), vitamin deficiency (B12, B6), toxicity (lead etc), endocrinopathy (thyroid). Most commonly diabetes or Vitamin B12 deficiency cause neuropathy. It has not been investigated in you.
Kindly consult doctor for blood sugar level, blood smear, B12 level and rule out neuropathy. Treatment of neuropathy is medical management only.

: Sometimes deficiency of minerals (selenium, copper) and vitamin (B, E) can cause such type of non specific symptom.
If everything is ruled out, it can be suspected. You should take balanced diet and also include supplements like B complex capsules with minerals, Vitamin E capsules after proper prescription.

: Nerve compression due to bad posture - It is common in obese patient. Nerve gets compressed during sleep/prolonged sitting and leads to numbness in feet. It usually resolves in some time after removal of compression or change in posture.

Kindly consult neurologist and rule out these diseases. Further treatment will be decided after confirming reports. Hope it will help you.

Thanks. take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak