What does this MRI report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 16 Jan 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: An MRI of my hip in December indicates that my "bladder is thick walled but not well distended". At that time I was being treated with an antibiotic for a urinary tract infection. I was curious if the thickening may be a temporary condition arising from the infection which is now resolved.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It was most likely temporary even if due to the urinay infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. There are 2 probabilities in the above event.

(i) The urinary bladder was not completely distended and therefore the wall thickness was apparently increased. This is not a real increased wall thickness and the wall appears normal when the urinary bladder gets completely filled.

(ii) The other situation is the probability of urinary bladder infection which might have caused the increase in the thickness of the urinary bladder wall.

If the bladder was not completely distended when the MRI scan was done then the doubt persists whether the bladder wall was falsely appearing thickened or it was from the infection. Even if it was from an infection then it was temporary and would have returned to normal after treatment.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist