What does this MRI report indicate?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Multiple Sclerosis
Question: Hi I had a mri done a month back and I called my doctors office for the results and they were as follows

inconclusive mri showed white matter they put it down to a migraine but I have not had a migraine since the 90's which was a aura type migraine I had a concussion back in 2001 and had vertigo for about 2 weeks and was sick at my stomach a few times. I have hypertension that is control with meds.
My question is because I am scared of what I have read on ms that this is what it could be. Can a radiologist tell the difference on a mri, plus could age be a factor on showing increasing white matter.

Thanks

XXXXXXX and I am 59 years old
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Every white matter change does not mean MS.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

If you would have presented to me as an outpatient with this query,I would have told you that-every white matter involvement is not MS.

Age related white matter changes(ARWMC) is a known and common entity.Patient may not have even symptoms.
You also have a history of Hypertension which is one of the most common causes of small white matter ischemic changes.
As your clinical history does not go well with MS,I am of the opinion that these white matter changes are probably small vessel white matter ischemic changes,which are not a feature of MS.

A Radiologist will obviously know the difference.Even I may be able to help in this regard,if you can upload MRI film/report.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 16 minutes later
Yes, they also stated that there was no reference to lesions in the conclusion report and said quote mild non" specific white matter with mild micro myelination" what ever that means.
So what you are saying it could be do to a lot of things including trauma, vascular, migraines from a long time ago or even age.

Thanks and look forward to your response

PS I have not seen the neurologist yet but that may take a month or so because this is Canada and not the United States.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Of course!Its not MS.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Clearly,'mild non specific white matter with mild micro myelination' is not MS.It has to be correlated in light of symptoms.As the line says,its non-specific.

Please get back to me if you have a query anytime in future.Meanwhile,please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)