What does this MRI report indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: January, 2014, I was told I have a Meningioma which measured 3.8. Six months later it was 4.0. one year later (last week), the MRI showed it had shrunk to 3.1. I have been on a low carb diet, and have been taking good vitamins and essential oils. Could these cause the tumor to shrink? Is this a unusual for a tumor to shrink?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In rare cases spontaneous shrinking is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

The main factor promoting decrease or increase of Meningioma is hormonal dysbalance ( mainly progesterone ).

Cases of spontaneous regression, or shrinking, of Meningioma are not very usual, but several cases are reported in literature.

Factors that are thought to promote shrinking include discontinuation of hormonal ( progestative ) therapy, spontaneous intratumoral hemorrhage or necrosis.

In your case, it is not fully understood if diet promotes spontaneous Meningioma regression, but if diet promotes lowering of body and brain fluids loading, ( decreasing blood osmosis ), it is possible a relative decrease in tumor measurements too.

Anyway, follow up with imaging is still needed. ( MRI in one year )

Hope you found the answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad