• question-icon

What does this MRI report for shoulder pain indicate?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Just received an mri of my lt shoulder showing tendinosis of the distal aspect of the supraspinatus tendon. A full or partial thickness tear is not identified. There is a type II acromion and moderate sized inferior osteophyte at the acromioclavicular joint which does touch and efface the supraspinatus musculotendinous junction which can occur in concert with shoulder impingement syndrome. I have a lot of pain with my left shoulder, but recently been told I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome also with an MRA showing subclavian vein compression both sides, but prominent on left. My question is what is the general treatment for my shoulder problem according to my MRI. Is it usually surgery? Does shoulder impingement compress the subclavian vein as well (just wondering if the shoulder actually could be misdiagnosed as Thoracic, or if they are independent of each other).
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Shoulder impingement does not compress subclavian.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in shoulder that you have due to tendinosis and impingement is different from thoracic outlet syndrome. The compression of subclavian vein can be due to tight scalene muscles or compression between clavicle and first rib or due to pectoralis minor muscle. Since there is no nerve compression it is not likely to cause any pain.
The treatment of shoulder pain is with pain killers, muscle relaxants and regular physiotherapy. Local steroid injections can also help in reducing the inflammation. Surgery is not usually needed for the mild symptoms. Most of the patients respond to the conservative treatment. Do consult an orthopedician for proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon