What does this MRI report during pregnancy indicate?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Wed, 10 Dec 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I am 34, female, having 8 month old baby. My spine MRI shows
MRI- LUMBO-SACRAL SPINE

Mild bulging annulus at L4-5 and L5-S1 levels indenting the thecal sac and nerve root.

No significant compression noted.

Minimal subchondral sclerosis with patchy marrow edema seen in sacral and iliac aspect

of right sacroiliac joints – sacroiliitis.

What does it mean?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Degenerative changes in spine, rest & drugs needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

There are certain changes seen at the level of lower lumbar vertebrae and upper sacral vertebrae.
The inter-vertebral disc between vertebrae L4 & L5 and L5 & S1 is showing a bulge and this bulge is impinging on the thecal sac and nerve root.
Compression of the thecal sac and nerve root can lead to pain and altered sensation in the region supplied by the respective nerves.
However, right now there is only impingement and o compression.
If the condition progresses there can be disc prolapse.
Rest and pain killers if associated with pain are the mainstay of treatment.
Along with bulging of the disc there is degenerative changes in the sacroiliac joint or the joint formed between sacrum and ilium.
Sacroilities is caused due to inflammation and it can be managed by anti-inflammatory drugs.

Consult your orthopedician for clinical assessment, review of MRI report and thus planning management.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad