What Does This MRI Of Brain Showing Multiple Foci Of Gliosis Indicate?
If symptoms started 2 weeks back then it is concussion syndrome
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. The MRI finding showing multiple small areas of gliosis in the frontal lobes bilaterally might be linked to minimal degenerative change and is usually a common finding in old age which are more apparent in patients with diabetes. It shows small areas in the brain where there has been slightly less blood supply causing focal degenerative changes.
2. Your MRI does not show any typical features of dementia which would have been mentioned in the report should it be present. Dementia has typical appearance on MRI scan involving frontal and temporal lobes and you can discuss your images in detail to know if there is a dementia pattern.
3. Since you have 2 closed head injuries earlier and 3 concussion of which one has been two weeks back therefore that might be the cause for your short term memory and organizational problems if your symptoms started in the last two weeks.
4. Concussion injuries are mild traumatic brain injuries and cause symptoms like mild memory problems, headaches, emotional changes, mild depressive episodes and sleep disturbances. Some patients recover from such symptoms under a month while rarely people might find it difficult to deal with their symptoms for over 6 months.
5. People who have had concussion injury in the past have a longer duration of recovery than anyone who has experienced the first concussion episode. Please avoid activities which cause a physical or mental strain and this will help you towards a faster recovery.
6. However, clinically dementia is a slow and progressive process. In some people it can manifest over few years while in few it can take over 20 years to manifest.
7. Please get psychological and higher mental testing done if your symptoms are worsening over the next few months, by which time the symptoms of concussion should have resolved.
Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.