• question-icon

What does this LFT report post dengue fever treatment indicate?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: HI SIR I AM 46 YR MALE I HAD DENGUE LIKE VIRAL FEVER 6 MONTH BACK I AM DIABETIC ALSO DURING THAT TIME MY LIVER ENZYME S AND BILIRUBIN ELEVATED ON U/S THERE IS FATTY LIVER NOW GOING THROUGH REGULAR CHECK UP I FOUND SGPT 70 U/LAND SGOT 41U/L SO ONE OF DOCTOR SUGGESTED TO TAKE ESSENTIALE [LECTHIN] 3 TIMES DAILY AND UDILIV 300 TWICE DAILY . I TOOK LECTHIN FOR A WEEK NOW I AM ATTACHING REPORTS SGPT 86 U/L SGOT 48 HBA1 C 6.2 PL REFER REPORTS FOR OTHER PARAMETERS SHALL I CONTINUE WITH MEDICINE OR SHOULD IT TAKE BOTH AND HOW SERIOUS IS MY CONDITION
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow the advises.. maintain a healthy lifestyle..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern.. Yes I've reviewed all of your reports details..

To start with , I'd like to clarify some thing to you, your liver functions are alright so don't worry about that .... Also i'd request you not to go in to periodic values of Liver enzymes every now and then as until they are 3 folds high they are acceptable..

Yes Viral fever like Dengue often alters the liver functions but I don't think that's the only concern here..

The area of concern here is underlying dyslipidemia which is causing inflammation of the liver as well as the liver's inability to get the fats of the system , those they get accumulated in side the liver cells - causing fatty liver in your case..

Now it's high time to stop any kind alcohol intake(if you do at all) as it hastens this process too..

Also try to avoid fatty foods , junk and processed food of the market and maintain a healthy diet plan with mainly home cooked simple meals..

Lecithin and Udiliv both of them haven't yet provided any absolute conclusive role in curing this condition , however there are some evidence that Lecithin may have some beneficial role, so if I're your physician I'd advice to take only Lecithin for the next 1 month..

Your HBA1C is in borderline range , so if your recently detected diabetic , then there's a fair chance that with proper diet and life style modifications it can stay in well control..

Now from your serum protein electrophoresis and the whole other reports it's quite evident that there's still some swelling in the liver which may or may not be due the viral fever but definitely due to some degree of fatty liver..

Please upload your USG report so that I can take a detailed look..

Also let me know if you're taking any medications for diabetes ..

There are lot of food products which are rich in Lecithin starting from Whole grains foods , Eggs to soyabean and even milk..so please google for the whole list and preferably consult a dietitian for a complete diet chart as per your calorie requirement(Low fat mod carb. mod protein and high fiber diet)

Once again i'm assuring you that your condition is not serious and with this changes in life style and diets they can be controlled and even reversed..

Try to include a work-out plan of 45 min to an hour everyday..it's highly important while burning fat to control diabetes .. even active jogging at the park , some cardio exercises will do just fine..but do it regularly..

Include a lot green vegetables , whole grain foods in your diet..

With all these to take full effect, a month or so is needed, so your next health check-up should be after at least 1 month including CBC, KFT, LFT , Lipid Profile , FBS, PPBS , Urine routine microscopy..

The next follow-up USG should be planed after another 6 months and see in due course how you stay..

So please take care of yourself.. Let me know if I can help you further..

Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 5 hours later
i am taking metformin 1000 m sr daily for sugar should i take XXXXXXX vitamins
can i eat egg i am a vegan i dont take alcohol
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry, however routine and timely follow-up to continue..

Detailed Answer:
Welcome Back Dear,
Thanks a lot for following up,

Continue Metformin as you're already taking,,It's good that you don't take alcohol..

Now if you're comfortable eating eggs then daily 1-2 eggs can be safely eaten..

In healthy adults , there's no need to additional multivitamin supplements , so just ensure that your diet only(as I've already explained in my previous reply)..just follow them and maintain them for betterment..it'll be just a matter of time till you get better..

If you still feel like weakness, lethargy like symptoms then consider having any over the counter multivitamin(eg. Cap A-Z) once daily after breakfast for the next 1 month..

Wish you a good health..

Kind Regards

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist