What does this LFT report indicate?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I was having abdominal pain and diarrhea 3 months after taking clindomycin. My doctor did the typical blood and stool work and stool came back clear. Blood work showed elevation of liver enzymes. ALT 151, AST 79, and ALP 270. I had ultrasound done, and showed I had fatty liver, but that was it. Sent me to GI to check further. Wanted to do colonoscopy, but I hate being put under. Convinced him to do CT scan with XXXXXXX Showed clear of everything. (Kidneys, pancrease, gall bladder, lymph nodes, liver, ducts, everything good. This was 3 weeks ago. Last week I had blood and urine done for life insurance. Levels have dropped since last test. ALT 114 instead of 151, AST 60 instead of 79, and ALP 268 instead of 270. The concern is with the GGT. They didnt do this at the doctors, but this came back as 853 which is extremely high. All my Hepatitis test came back negative, glucose was 66, and remember CT scan/Ultrasound showed no liver damage. I am concerned by this number. Should I be? Could it be the fatty liver? I worked out the night before the test very hard. Could this be from working out? I binge drank 2 weeks before, and 4 weeks before, and I dont normally drink. (about 30 drinks per night). Could it be from that? Please help!

Also, my SGOT/SGPT was normal .52, Total Bilirubin 1.02 normal, Globulin normal at 3.5,
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ERCP seems to be necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

GGTP is an enzyme which gets such elevated due to bile ducts obstruction. That is the most common and most probable reason. How about bilirubin? Was it elevated as well?
GGTP does not get that high from diet or exercises. It can get high from excessive drinking, but still not that high.
In my opinion, if the level of GGTP is still high, ERCP(to diagnose possible bile ducts obstruction) and EUS tests should be done.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
A CT scan showed no evidence of this, would that not be sufficient enough?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
CT is not enough.

Detailed Answer:
CT has some limitations. For example most of the stones are invisible in this test. ERCP is much more accurate.