What does this HSV test report indicate?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I just got results for HSV test and IgG is .83 ans IgM is .25! Does this mean i have herpes? Do i need more tests?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 41 minutes later
I would be happy to look at the results if you wish to upload them to my attention in .pdf format to give you a more definite answer as to what the numbers mean. If your doctor did not recommend any specific treatment then, you likely do not need any but by all means send me the lab results to: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi Please click THANK YOU.
Follow up: Dr. Dariush Saghafi 18 hours later
I have had some kind of rash on my penis for over a month! I was applying some antifungal cream and it got better but came back after i masturbated couple times! Hence i got vdrl and hsv tests!
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload a .pdf copy of the laboratory results

Detailed Answer:
If you have the copy of the lab results that you refer to about the titers of HSV and upload them then, I will be able to see what the ranges and other information is on that report to give you a good interpretation of the numbers you have stated.

It is unlikely that any rash on the penis is due to STD transmission solely based upon the acts of masturbation. If on the other hand you are or have been sexually active with individuals who themselves may be infected or have an unknown background then, that is a different story. A VDRL is a fairly good test to detect the presence of syphilis so if it is negative then, I would feel fairly comfortable that you do not have that particular problem. The HSV titer scans are frequently of little help when trying to assess a person's risk for having an STD since HSV titers are going to be invariably positive to one extent or another in virtually all human beings due to the ubiquitous nature of the virus in the environment.

Something on the order of an HSV infection of the penis would not be expected to improve simply on the basis of OTC antifungal creams that were applied for a short amount of time.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
Follow up: Dr. Dariush Saghafi 54 minutes later
I had attached pics of the report! I m doing it again!
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reports for HSV titers are HIGHLY LIKELY NEGATIVE

Detailed Answer:
Sorry that your previous photograph attachments of the reports didn't come through the first time but this time they did.

The interpretation on the HSV titers of 0.83 for the IgG index and 0.25 IgM shows a NONACUTE reactivity result and probably overall non-reactive PERIOD since the IgG value is so close to being considered nonreactive.

IgG titers represents a more long term or chronic type of infection whereas IgM tells us what's been happening just within the past few days to few weeks. So in your case there is little chance that you even have anything chronic going and even less of a chance that there is anything acute. The rash on the penis is very low probability HSV in origin.

The other test results very highly vote against any syhpilitic infection by both the VDRL and MHATP or antibody assay which together give us a very high degree of confidence to say you do not have a syphilitic condition. However, these results do not say anything about other types of STD's such as HIV, chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc. If you have NOT been sexually active with any other individual as I said before then, you really shouldn't have to worry about anything strictly through masturbation unless you are using contaminated items used by persons with a risk of having STD's.

Bottom line is that your testing showing highly unlikely acute herpes infection of any sort and my guess is that if you repeat IgG in several weeks it will likely be negative as well and highly unlikely syphilitic infection with verification using 2 good tests.

This query has utilized a total of 38 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.