What does this HIV test report indicate?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi doc,

I have had an episode of unprotected sex on 4th of April with someone who has multiple partners.

I went to the doc, and he advised me to do an HIV testing now, a month later and after 3 months.
I got the first result, and doc said I am negative as of now, but will have to wait for 3 months.

I looked at the values and it is 0.651 and cut off is 1.0. Could it be that my antibodies are slowly building up to reach the threshold of 1.0? I might sound stupid, but I am freaking out.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for repeat testing after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

You had unprotected sex with some one and test result after one month is negative then nothing to worry as the risk of positive result now is unlikely.

Any value below one for HIV test is considered as negative so the value has not much significance and it does not mean with antibody in any way.

You need to go for repeat testing after 3 months of exposure as per routine HIV guidelines to get 100% reliable and conclusive result nothing else.

As your friend I will also advice you to have safe sex as multiple sexual partners is high risk for HIV so it is better to stay away from such practices.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 3 minutes later
thanks doc. much appreciated
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

You are most welcome and if need any help further write to me directly, I am here to help you always.

Thank You