What does this HBV DNA quantitative test result indicate?

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i am a patient daigonised with hepatitus b , it was last year august when i came to know about it, however the final tests proved that the level of infection was to its minimal and so my doctor did not suggest me any pills but asked for blood tests at regular intervals , my sgot and sgpt level as well as the billirubin levels decreased as the time passed , the last lft test that was conducted on me showed that my sgot and sgpt were normal however billirubin total was 1.80 mg/dl indirect was 1.58 mg/dl whereas billirubin direct was 0.22 mg/dl this last test was conducted in feburary , however the test i conducted today showed that my sgpt level is 82.9 IU/LT and SGOT level is 67.1 IU/LT whereas my billirubin direct is 1.90 mg/dl and indirect is 1.30 mg/dl my total billirubin level is 3.20 mg/dl
MY HBV DNA Quantitative test done on 5/8/2013 was below 20 IU/ml (not applicable) and observed value of Alfa Feto Protine was 0.60 IU/ml
HBeAg , anti HBe and HBcAb -IgM Ab hepatitus B core antigent was negative , kindly advice me as to what do i need to do further , do i need to conduct any further tests on the subject or should i just follow a proper diet and repeat the same tablets as prescribed earlier or is there any other medication that u can suggest to me , recently for last 1 month i have had consumed junk food in bulk as well as the XXXXXXX spicy chinese bhel at snack corners as well , so are the rise in the levels temporary or it could be anything serious to worry about ! kindly suggest and advice
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult a hepatologist

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic.

I have gone through your query and I understand your concern regarding hepatitis B.

Hepatitis B patients recover completely within two to three months and never go to the chronic stage.

About 5-10% of patients go into chronic stage where the patient may be symptom free but may develop liver failure and cirrhosis if not treated.

Many chronic patients are diagnosed based on the SGOT and SGPT levels because these enzymes indicate liver function.

The normal range of values for AST (SGOT) is about 5 to 40 units per liter of serum.

The normal range of values for ALT (SGPT) is about 7 to 56 units per liter of serum.

Your report suggests slightly higher levels when compared to normal reference levels, but these reference levels vary based on the procedure used in the laboratory.

I would suggest you upload the scanned copy of the report on the link provided on the webpage for me to confirm the reports.

Your bilirubin levels are also on the higher range.

However, tests for hepatitis B are negative and that is a positive sign indicating that you have not progressed to chronic stage.

For now, I would suggest you consult a hepatologist and get yourself examined for other causes of increased liver enzyme levels and bilirubin.

You do not need any more medications for hepatitis B infection.

Dietary advice can be given once the cause for raised enzyme levels is determined.

Please get in touch with a hepatologist and get a detailed examination done.

I hope I have cleared your doubts.

Please get back if any more clarifications.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Roopa Hiremath 12 hours later
the doctor which is handling my case is a gastrointrologist , i consulted him today and he told me to take the blood test for HBV DNA quantitative again , as the last test that i performed was a year ago , i gave my sample for the blood test and the test results would be out on monday , he even told me to continue ursocol 300 for 1 month as to reduce the sgot sgpt levels , do u think its a matter to worry about in my case ? also suggest me if i have to consume a special diet for my liver to adjust with .
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for results of reports and then decide

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

I am glad to know that your treating doctor is a gastroenterologist.

He has suggested HBV DNA test to confirm Hep B negative status and also to know the viral load.
This test will rule out chronic hepatitis B.

As your liver enzymes are showing slightly higher levels, he has advised Ursocol which will bring them to normal levels.

You do not require any medications (antivirals) for Hep B infection for now.

Coming to dietary advice, I suggest the following:
1. Avoid fatty food and food that cannot be digested easily.
2. Avoid junk food and dairy products.
3. Consume fresh vegetable and fruit juices at regular intervals.
4. Steamed vegetables preferred.
5. Quit alcohol and smoking.

I hope I have cleared your doubts.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks.