What does this ELISA test result indicate?

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi 3days back I did my Elisa test for hiv. Today I got the result & which is bit confusing & I'm unable to understand. Would be really glad, if u can help me to understand the meaning of the below mentioned report : Investigation : H-1 & 2 Antibody Result : 0.26 Units : S/CO Normal Range : <1.00 : Negetive >1.00 : Positive I am really confused by the above mentioned report & unable to understand whether I'm affected by the HIV or not. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Negative for HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

The ELISA test is interpreted as follows:

a. Negative - 0.00 - 0.90----------- 0.26 units falls here

b. Equivocal - 0.91-1.0

c. Negative - more than 1.0

The normal color sample reading should be less than 1.0 in ELISA method.

So you are definitely negative for HIV.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. XXXXXXX HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Jyothi B L 2 hours later
Thanks Doctor Ma'am..
See actually I had a unsafe sex 3months back & I am feeling some kind of symptoms in my body, like Knee joint pain, fatigue      & tiredness, small rashes in my chest & head etc and for that I went for an ELISA test on last Wednesday & today I got the result, which has made me scare..
Why my HIV 2 came positive, when HIV 1 is Negetive?? What does that mean??
Plz help Doctor Ma'am..
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Attach complete report.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
There are two types of HIV viruses. HIV -1 commonly prevalent all over the world and HIV-2, prevalent in west XXXXXXX commonly.
However I have not seen the whole report.
From the above report, I cannot see you HIV -2 being positive.

However, ELISA is a screening test and a times, it could be false positive and confirmation is required through Western blot test.
Do attach the whole report for complete opinion.
Dr. Jyothi BL