What does this EKG test report indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: EKG results
I got a cold a about a month ago. Had a chest x ray that was clear (heart/lungs). A week ago I got a “clear” EKG and a few days ago I had another checkup with EKG since I was short of breath by a family doctor that said on the computerized printout there might be “borderline atrial enlargement” he told me NOT to worry as it is often a false positive and I’m athletic and leans. Male, 35/165 lbs only PVCs and PAC’s from time to time when unde stress. No drug use. No family history of Long QT to my knowledge. My concern is the first EKG taken a week ago. Looking at the QT/QTC values (140/147) I’m now scared I may have Long Qt syndrome. Only meds I’ve been on are Augmentin and a steroid inhaler.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I reviewed carefully your uploaded ECG and would explain that the QT segment is within the normal ranges (no signs of QT prolongation syndrome).

So, you have nothing to worry about QT prolongation syndrome, as it is not your case.

There is only QRS deviation in the horizontal axis on your ECG. These changes could be related to a lung disorder (including asthma).

Anyway, I would recommend consulting with your doctor and performing a cardiac ultrasound to examine your cardiac function and structure.

It is also necessary performing a chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests to examine your lung function.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Thank you,
A Chest X Ray came back clear a week before the EKG. I will get another one this week per your suggestion.

I will follow up with a cardiologist next month (January)

Until then how concerned should I be? I am very worried there is something seriously wrong with me. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing dangerous to worry about.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

You shouldn't worry about your ECG, as no dangerous clinical findings results from that recordings.

As you had recently a normal Chest X Ray study, there is no immediate need to actually repeat it again.

Meanwhile,a cardiac ultrasound test could definitely clarify your cardiac structure and function.

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I will follow your advice.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I'm glad to have been helpful to you!

Best regards,

Dr. Iliri