What does this ECG report showing sinus rhythm indicate?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, I just goty my ECG report with the following statements:
- Sinus Rhythm: 56/M
- Lefward Axis
- Otherwise normal ECG

What does this mean? Should I have more tests to confirm something is wrong?

Thanks,

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
need examination & more investigations

Detailed Answer:
Dear friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is likely to be a normal variant – Heart rate a bit below 60 / leftward axis
But, one needs to be sure - see an Internist / it is necessary, but not an emergency….
Investigations should not be interpreted in isolation / but as a part of total clinical picture

Generally, we
     Examine the candidate for any obvious finding
     Do an ECHOcardiogram – to see the heart valves (Mitral Valve Prolapse) / heart muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality) and so on.
     HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring) is done to analyse the rate on the lower side.

Very likely, nothing may be found and it will be reassuring...

Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju