What does this ECG report indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 65 years of age - my ekg came back -
Sinus rhythm : Anteroseptal infarct old
Mean?
Should have ask my dr - XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A differential diagnosis should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that your ECG recordings may show signs similar to a previous myocardial infarction (heart muscle damage due to inadequate blood supply), but this conclusion is drawn by a rigid ECG machine software and I have to confirm you that not rarely this kind of software lacks sufficient accuracy.

The fact your ECG conclusion is old anteroseptal infarct should be carefully differentiated with several potential causes that may lead to similar pattern, such as left ventricular hypertrophy (increased inter-ventricular septa thickness), chronic pulmonary disorders, inter-ventricular cardiac conductance disorders, etc.

This differential diagnosis should be done especially if don't have a history of chest angina or equivalent clinical symptomatology and your actual cardiac tests (cardiac ultrasound, stress test) have resulted normal.

Coming to this point, I would like to directly review your medical tests (including your ECG, cardiac ECHO, cardiac stress test, etc.) and also your eventual clinical complaints if any, in order to give a more professional opinion.

Do you have any coronary risk factors, besides your family history?

Do you suffer from hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, cigarette smoke, etc.?

If you haven't ever experienced chest pain, shortness of breath and no ever detected laboratory elevated cardiac tests (cardiac enzymes CK-MB, Troponin), it is quite possible that your ECG pattern mimicking an old myocardial infarction be in fact another responsible health issue.

Anyway, you shouldn't worry about this isolated ECG finding, because only an ECG conclusion would be insufficient to come to a clinical diagnosis and furthermore, if suspicions were raised your doctor would have let you know his opinion.

You need to discuss with your attending doctor on the above mentioned issues.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

I remain to your disposal for any further available information and discussions.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. Very helpful - I will talk to my doctor/ I have a strong family history of heart disease - been on Blood Pressure Medicine since I was in my 30’s - my dad started in his early 40’s - but this was before the years of statins -
I am blessed to live now/ have always watched my diet and fat intake etc.
But now at 65 I have cholesterol issues/ sticky type like his.

I am still working - active / but have had some mild symptoms- fatigue/ etc.. endurance not as great / I get winded but not until say 40 minutes into a walk /

I have been cleared for abdominal aneurysms of which he suffered from:( none -

So you see?

I am blessed to still be active, working/ he was not so lucky .

Well thank you for explaining all of that!

Have a Blessed Eve!

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, Dear XXXX!

It seems that you are on the right direction, following a healthy life-style with a lot of daily physical activity and a balanced diet.

Your physical endurance seems to be compatible with your age.

Properly controlling the modifiable coronary risk factors like hypertension, dyslipidemia, possible glucose metabolism disorder, avoiding close smoking contact (an important risk factor known for its adverse effects on aortic dilation) could lead you to a healthy and long life similar to individual without such a prominent cardiovascular family history.

In case you have any available cardiac tests report I would be glad to review them here on HCM and give a second professional opinion.

I remain at your disposal for any further discussions whenever you will need.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri