What does this CT scan report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi sir,
My son 19 months old. He is still not able to stand and walk independently. As advised by the doctors we did his CT scan and the report reveals the following -
1. Features of diffuse brain atrophy with microcephaly.
2. Bone window show closure of suture and posterior fontanelle. Only small anterior fontanelle is mildly patent.
what shall I do and what will happen to him. Is it curable?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There isn't a cure I am afraid.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Unfortunately that CT report is not good news. That report indicates that the brain is smaller than normal. The possible causes are many. It may be genetic or it may be due to pregnancy issues such as infections (like rubella, toxoplasmosis etc), exposure to toxic substances, severe malnutrition, insufficiency of the blood supply during the development.

I am afraid there is no cure for it, it is a process which has happened in the past. How many consequences he will have depend on how marked, how severe it is. It may lead to developmental delay (as seems to be the case), intellectual disability, seizures etc. How severe these issues will be, whether he will be left severely disabled or simply will develop more slowly depends as I said on severity, whether mild, moderate or severe. That can be partially assessed by the CT scan but the reports doesn't mention severity, it is something which you should ask the interpreting doctors about. It's a somewhat subjective opinion, an estimate based on what they see, but it provides an approximate estimate. Hopefully since the only issue is not being able to walk yet it is a mild case.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist