What does this CT scan report indicate?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: My recent ct scan (as a result of a trip to the ER for kidney stone pain) indicated I have a 4mm noncalcified nodule in the left lung base.

I'm 45 yrs old, female, 185 lbs. never smoked in my life. No history of lung cancer or any cancer in my family besides my dad who had stage 1 prostate cancer.

Concerned it could possibly be cancer?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be a cancer. No real need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query

I understand this can be very disturbing. However, with a negative family history and no past history of smoking, I think there is no real reason to panic as such.

It is not rare to find simple nodules on a CT scan . There size of the module, presence or absence of associated enlarged lymph nodes and there number of nodules are important indicators of whether the nodule can be of cancerous origin or not. Other clinical signs like the General out look and pain are also very important . In your case, these are negative and the likelihood of this nodule to be cancerous in my opinion is extremely low.

No need to bother . However; I recommend yearly CT scans to monitor its size, any new nodules or new enlarged lymph nodes. In case you experience some unusual pain or deterioration in your General health status, you should not hesitate to see your doctor.

Otherwise, no need to worry now as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad