What does this CT scan report indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: This is a follow up question to my previous one. Apparently my fathers ct scan had some recommendation and not totally normal as i was told. I have attached the report and my main concern is the sclerotic lesion on t3. Can this be a bone metastasis and is there a chance that this is something not cancerous and not related to his lung cancer? He just finished his chemo, he is eating well and not feeling any pain in bone
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
needs follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for following up.

This new sclerotic lesion in vertebral can be a metastasis. Small cell cancers can have unpredictable behavior and it is not unusual to find a new metastasis at the end of chemo while other lesions are under control.

However, as he is otherwise fine and the lesion is small and sclerotic, it can be followed up in future scans and there is no need to jump to any conclusion now. There is possibility that it is not cancerous also. Or maybe it was there earlier also but not picked up on CT. After treatment it has become sclerotic and hence seen now.

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Thanks doctor. So does sclerotic means that its not active. I was wortied that we mived into a new stage and we mow need to face none cancer?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes sclerotic may not be active

Detailed Answer:
If he is alright we can observe for now and do another CT plus bone scan after 2 months. Or else a PET CT scan.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 34 minutes later
And ok means what? He is eating well and nit feeling any pain. He did a pet today and waiting for the results which we shall get tomorrow. What i want to know if this is dangerous or something normal and doesnt have consequences
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see below

Detailed Answer:
By alright I mean without symptoms like back pain. If the PET is negative for active disease then nothing to worry. It is not dangerous. We can observe him then. If it shows active disease then he may require further chemo, which can be capsule formulation even.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 18 minutes later
Thanks dr. Since you have read the report and sunce so far youve been very tranparent and professional. What wouldvyou assume this sclerotic lession is? If its cancerous shouldnt it have symptoms or atleast show more details on the ct he performed. I hope youre not bothered by nmy questions i am a son who is very worried about his old man
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:
No I am not bothered at all!

If you see my first reply to this query, I have clearly mentioned that it may not be a metastasis and even if it is, possibility is there that it was there from the beginning.

However, many a times, these lesions are incidentally picked up on the scans and absolutely asymptomatic. CT can only delineate to a certain extent and PET a bit further. But none of these imaging modalities are 100% accurate. We have to rely on follow-up.