What does this CA values regarding ovarian cyst indicate?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi. I have an ovarian cyst & have recently had several blood tests. CA19.9 & CA125 have both come back 'high'. I have been scheduled to have an abdominal & pelvic ultrasound & CT scan next week. What do these blood results really mean.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are tumor markers.

Detailed Answer:

CA 19.9 and CA 125 are tumor markers. While CA 125 is used to test for a wide variety of tumors, its most important use is in the diagnosis of an ovarian malignancy. The normal value is less than 35 U/ml.

Together, CA 19.9 and CA 125 are used to differentiate a mature cystic teratoma from an ovarian cancer. Simultaneous elevation of both has been shown to be associated with a higher probability of malignancy.

Endometriosis may also be sometimes detected through this test, though the benefits are to be further evaluated.

Since you have an ovarian cyst, these findings suggest the possibility of a malignancy; yet, a definite conclusion can be arrived at only after the CT and the sonogram.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for any more information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.