What does this BP reading of 168/88 indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My Mother's blood pressure is 168/88 should I be concern?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that this value of high blood pressure is not extremely high, but it is above the normal ranges for blood pressure.

It is not a matter of going to the ER. An isolated high blood pressure value does not mean that she suffers from uncontrolled high blood pressure.

I would recommend you to closely monitor her blood pressure values frequently during the day ( in sitting position after 10 minutes of total relax) and write them down. If these values are above 135/85 mmHg most of the time, this would indicate that her blood pressure is not under control.

In such case you should discuss wither her doctor the possibility of making some changes to her current therapy in order to have a better control of blood pressure.

Some tests would also be needed in this case to exclude other secondary causes of high blood pressure:

- a resting ECG
- a chest X ray study
- blood lab tests (complete blood count, fasting glucose, kidney and liver function tests, blood electrolytes, thyroid hormone levels, PCR, sedimentation rate).

Meanwhile, i recommend you to sit her down and have some rest. A cup of water with lemon juice can help.

If her blood pressure values do not go down or if she has other symptoms like dizziness, nausea, headache, etc. you should bring her to the ER to perform some of the above tests and have the proper treatment for further decrease in blood pressure.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask me whenever you have any other uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 14 minutes later
Thank you so much for responding to my question so quickly. I will take your advice and call her Cardiologist tomorrow and her MD Doctor and make appointment for her. Tomorrow I will monitor her blood pressure and write it down to see just how level it is. Again thank you so much!

Best Regards,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

I am glad to have been helpful to you!

You can ask me directly at any time for further questions or to review her performed tests for another professional opinion on the link below:

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=69765

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri