What does this BP reading of 108/40 indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Just took my BP and it is 108/40!

Isn't that way too low??
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your blood pressure values, I would explain that they are a little low.

The difference between your systolic and diastolic blood pressure is quite normal for your age and there is nothing to worry about.

If you are experiencing dizziness, fatigue or lightheadedness, it means that your body does not tolerate well these blood pressure values.

I recommend taking plenty of fluids (water, juices) to stay well hydrated. Increasing salt intake and coffee can help you in this situation.

I would also advise avoiding physical exercise, have some rest and avoiding standing up position or staying in hot places.

If your symptoms do not improve with these measures, I would recommend going to the ER for a physical exam and have some tests (complete blood count, ECG, blood electrolytes, etc.). You may need to take intravenous fluids.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri