What does thick blood discharge from the nose indicate?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: This isn't pediatric related, it's for myself. I have been experiencing thick and bloody discharge from my right nostril for the past month. I am allergic to pollen and am prone to sinus infections. It is particularly bad this year. I have had a headache off and on for the past few days, a low grade fever and I get a bloody nose whenever I blow it too hard or try to clean it out with a que tip. I've had a bloody nose for the last two hours and the picture attached is a blood clot that just came out. I also coughed a similar size clot that had trickled down the back of my throat. There are two areas that feel hard and numb when I touch them. I am thinking of going to urgent care but wanted a quick opinion.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
you need to see a doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query and I can understand your concern.

You need to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
It seems that you might have a severe sinus infection that is complicated with bleeding.This can cause the bloody discharge from your nose and the blood clots have gone from the back of your nose in your throat.
Physical examination of the nose and throat ,blood tests ,X-ray of the sinuses or a CT scan are necessary.

I would suggest to go to ER to do all the necessary investigations.

Hope it helps.
Please feel free to ask for every question you might have.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati
Dr. Rovena Murati