Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

What does these levels of Alanine Transaminase and Bilirubin mean?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6481 Questions
Hello Doctor, Recently I did tests and found that my Alanine Transaminase (ALT/SGPT) is 124 and Bilirubin Indirect is 1.57. Can you please let me know what it means to me. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Increased SGPT indicates liver injury. You are suffering from hepatitis.This is also indicated by yellow colour of urine. It is also important to know about yellow discolouration of body and colour of stool. You need proper clinical examination and few more investigations. Other investigations include Viral markers,Ultrasound of abdomen.Further investigations can be done if needed. You can take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily after food for three months.It helps in regeneration of damaged liver cells.Further need to continue drug depend upon response. You should avoid fatty and spicy food. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor