What does the urine culture test indicate?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 in Child Health
Question: my son aged 20, in his urine culture test, the result is occasional pus cells, no epithelial cells and occasional gram postive cocci in clusters were seen , i don't know what is the reason.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urine repost is not very suggestive of infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
The common bacteria causing urinary tract infection are gram negative bacteria and gram positive bacteria usually the contaminants.
I have seen the report and it does not show any significant growth. The occasional pus cells and gram positive bacteria can be there normally.
I would like to know if there are any symptoms suggestive of UTI like burning micturition or difficulty in passing urine.
Also let me know if he is getting any antibiotic treatment and if any urine test has been done earlier.
I won't get worried if otherwise there are no symptoms and in such condition no treatment is needed.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Dr. Thank you for your reply, two days he has taken antibiotic tablets and Urine Profile test done earlier. Please find attached herewith the same.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urine routine examination suggests infection

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for following up,

I have gone through the report. Urine examination showing 10-12 pus cells are significant and suggests infection.

Urine culture is not a very sensitive test and it may come negative even when there is an infection.
I would like to continue the antibiotics for next 5-7 days and to see if there is an improvement in symptoms.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee