question-icon

What does the thyroid profile test report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015
Question: Hi
my name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX .my age is 33 years . today i got thyroid test report .
T3 - 1.31 ng/mL
T4 - 6.29 ug/dl
TSH - 8.39 uIu/ML

could you please suggest me . is it normal or i nee medication for thyroid . i feel sleep and fatigue, concentration problem .
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
subclinical hypothyroidism; do the following investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr.Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
From the reports you have provided, the T3 and T4 values are normal whereas the TSH is increased. We call it subclinical hypothyroidism. In this case, we need to rule out dyslipidemia and diabetes. So i would advise you the following-

Get a lipid profile and blood sugar reports done.
Get an anti-TPO antibody test done.
Start levothyroxin 25 once daily before breakfast. This is because you have symptoms of hypothyroidism like sleepiness, lack of concentration etc.
Do regular exercise, reduce weight if you are overweight.

You can consult your doctor for prescription of the above.
Consult me with the reports.

Hope this was useful.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta