What does the sperm test result indicate?
Viscosity= thick semen sample; treatment depends on the cause
Hello sir and welcome.
Thank you for writing to us.
I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Viscosity is basically measured by the technician conducting the analysis of the semen sample and is measured by either low (watery sample), moderate (between thick and watery) or high (thick). High viscosity (as was your sample) is when the semen sample was found to be very thick. A thick semen sample or high viscosity sample causes the direct prevention of the sperm in the semen sample to be motile, this thus causes reduced motility of the sperm.
Some of the most common causes for a high viscosity of the semen sample are poor functioning of the prostate gland, or poor functioning of the seminal vesicles, infections, or even high levels of seminal leukocytes.
The poor or reduced motility of the sperm in the semen prevents the sperm from causing fertilisation by preventing them from moving around in the female reproductive tract. Treatment depends on the cause (as mentioned above), but the most commonly used approaches are:
and a few others, depending on the cause.
I hope you find my response both helpful and informative sir. Please speak to your treating doctor to find the cause, and accordingly help you with treatment sir. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.
1) If you look at the scanned copies of the result i sent, 2012-azospermia, 2014-azopermia' 2015->1million/ml. What could have been the cause?The reason i ask this question is that in 2012 i was told i could not be a biological father which actually depressed me..but now it is seen that there is sperm in the semen
2) How can i improve on my sperm count to be above 10million/ml.......note i have been using wellman conception since middle last year.Is there any other thing i need to do?
Will appreciate if you can review the attached documents sent earlier to see what needs to be done to improve the count, motility,morphology
We need to find the cause for your semen abnormalities
Hello once again sir.
1. Yes sir, I did go through the copies attached by you. Although, I would like you to know that there are numerous causes for azoospermia, which is why when it is found in an individual we go about an elaborate evaluation to find the cause and if the cause is treated directly, then we can easily treat azoospermia. I am unaware of the cause found in your case sir, but I can list some of the most common causes for azoospermia, among many others, they are:
+Testosterone level abnormalities
+Using of hot tubs, public swimming pools, etc; often
+Trauma to the scrotum
+Kidney or liver failure
+Undescended testes at birth
and many others.
2. Sir as mentioned earlier, there are many conditions that can affect your sperm count and health, and treating the condition you have will completely improve your sperm count, so you need to discuss with your doctor the cause and accordingly treat that.
But as you have been experiencing an improvement with bellman conception then I would recommend a check on your testosterone levels, and accordingly influencing it with medications. Also, make sure you exercise regularly and eat only healthy (low-fat food).
The poor motility is due to viscosity (thickness of your semen sample) and can be improved by:
Sperm count and morphology can be improved by :
+Treating the cause (e.g. in a diabetic, control blood sugar levels)
+Losing weight in obese
+Healthy diet and lifestyle
I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What does these sperm count test results indicate
- How to read sperm test results
- What are the findings of the sperm test
- Is my sperm test results normal
- Sperm test active sperm
- Sperm motility test results
- What does sticky sperm indicate
- Done sperm test what does the reports indicate
- Fake sperm count test results
- Perfect sperm test results