What does the resting heart rate of 50 indicate?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi my resting HR is in the 50s. I am 24 years old and i wanted to know if that was normal also have side pain and neck pain, have had a echo, cardiac car scan, ekg, and blood work done. All the caediac testing was in april of last year and all came back normal
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:

Are you a athlete, do you do heavy activities or exercises, if yes then it's very well normal for you.
Do you have any symptoms like dizziness fainting syncope etc, if not then it can be normal for you.

In some individuals, heart rate falls especially during rest and it's a normal phenomenon. So in you its most probably a normal thing.

Still you should get one thyroid test done. Because low thyroid levels known to cause bradycardia.

To clarify more, you can get one holter monitoring done and also treadmill test to look for maximum heart rate you can reach. If it's comes to be normal then you can rest assured.

Overall, it appears to be a normal phenomenon in you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 22 minutes later
I've had my thyroid checked as well and they said it's fine
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:

It's good. In all probabilities, it's a normal phenomenon. Holter monitoring and treadmill will help confirming the things.

As far as neck pain is concerned, it's likely a spondylosis of cervical spine. It's a spine problem where you get pain and other symptoms due to compression of nerves between spine. So it will cause symptoms along the course of nerves.

Do you have any history of trauma to your spine, does this pain increases on neck movement, is it associated with tingling, numbness, needles and pins sensation, these are the other symptoms.

You'll need Vit D level, x ray cervical spine AP/ Lat view and further may need MRI if x rays are not informative.

The treatment for this is physiotherapy to release the nerve compression, traction, cervical collar, medicine and if none helps then Surgery.

Till the time you can have tab neurobion forte once a day which is a nerve vitamin and Diclofenac gel for local application. Also, you can get nerve stabilizer prescribed like Tab pregabalin 75 mg which will stabilize the nerve and reduce pain if not responding to above treatment etc.

You need to visit Orthopedician for all these investigations.