What does the presence of white mucus in stool during pregnancy suggest?

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello. My daughter will be born tomorrowand for the couple of weeks (not every day) I have had white mucus on my stool. I also had it in the second trimester of pregnancy. When I was two months pregnant I had a polyp removed fom my intestins and it came out benign. But, now I am in panic as what this could be. Can you please help me?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to panic

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. White mucus in the stools at full term pregnancy can be due to :
1. Infection in the intestines
2. infestation of bowel by worms
3. Ulcerative colitis or Crohn 's disease
4. Irritable bowel syndrome
In these conditions, the mucus secretion from the intestines is increased and becomes noticeable.
Since you had intestinal polyp removal earlier, May be more polyp would have formed in the intestines causing increased mucus secretion.
If you are having normal stool pattern and there is no complain of vomiting or pain in abdomen, I would suggest you to not to panic.
I would suggest you to have your delivery without any worry, as these conditions generally do not affect fetus or delivery.
Afterwards, you should consult a gastroenterologist to get properly examined, investigated and treated accordingly.
All the best for tomorrow.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 40 minutes later
Thank you very much for your answer. The stool has become more loose in the past weeks, but it is not diarrea. I am really worried it could be colon cancer. I am going to do a colonoscopy after the baby is born. Upon the removal of the polyp (40 cm of the colon) the doctor said this is the area where colon cancer usually is, so I should not worrry. I am so nervous. What do you think? thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colon cancer unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for responding. I suggest you not to worry and take so much stress before childbirth.
Intestinal cancer is usually associated with blood in stools, and that is not present in your case.
Colonoscopy will give the definitive answer, and that can be done after delivery only. So don't get panicked at this stage.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 3 hours later
Thank you very much for your answer, Doctor. I have been fine since my 3rd pregnancy month. Only had twice a bit of blood with the stool (but in the previous had eaten things with pepper). I have hemorroids too. This white mucus has only appeared once or twice in the second trimester and now in the end of the pregnancy, but not every day. So, I will do a colonoscopy after the baby is born. But you think these signs do not indicate colon cancer? my doctor said that colon cancer is usually located up to where i did the colonoscopy in the 2nd month (40 cm colon). Thank you so very much for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very low chance of colon carcinoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for responding. Haemorrhoids can also lead to white mucus in the stools. Moreover, if recent colonoscopy has shown no lesion, there is very low chance of colon cancer.
I would suggest you to not to worry, and be positive as you are having delivery tomorrow.
All the best.
Dr Deepti Verma
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine