What does the presence of giant platelet in a CBC report indicate?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Today's CBC shows Giant Platelet Present
Is this a normal finding
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Giant platelets do not have any clinical significance.

Detailed Answer:
For now, stay calm. if you have this full report, I will like to take a look and provide an independent second opinion.
Welcome to health care magic,

Based on your query, my opinion is,

Giant platelets do not have any significance with normal platelet count and bleeding time.

Giant platelets alone in an adult are really not an alarm for any well established disease condition.

Do not worry about giant platelets. Most commonly may occur secondary to Vit B12 deficiency.

Take Vitamin B12 supplements and keep checking your platelet count monthly once.

Hope this will help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T