What does the presence of acanthocytes in blood of child indicate?
Welcome to HCM
I completely understand your concerns. Acanthocytosis on blood smear examination is not a normal finding. It can occur in various conditions such as abetalipoproteinemia, liver dysfunction, neuroacanthocytosis, hypothyroidism, myxoedema etc. I would recommend you to the following laboratory tests to find out the reason for this finding in your child:
1. Liver function test
2. Lipid profile
3. Thyroid function test
You may forward these reports along with the clinical condition of your child to me so that I can help you further.
Platelets are in normal range.
Anti gliadin IgG antibody test is a very non specific test for coeliac disease.This can come positive even in food allergies, cystic fibrosis, parasitic infections, Crohn’s disease, and other types of autoimmune GI diseases. These antibodies may also be slightly elevated in individuals with no obvious disease.
Anti gliadin IgG in your child is very weakly positive.
To guide you in a better way, I would like to see her reports including the one's I recommended. Also, you need to tell me her signs and symptoms for which she is undergoing so many tests.
HLA Typing for coeliac, calcium & bone metabolism, Iron Studies, Serum B12 and Folate,ESR, Glucose Fasting, Thyroid Function, Tissue Transglutaminase IgA, Insulin (serum), Anti-Gliadin IgG, Anti-Gliadin IgA, Zinc, Urea, Creatinine & Electrolytes, FBP. Her 10 year old sister is Type 1 Diabetic but no other family issues.
The tests you have gone for doesn't include liver function test and lipid profile which I had suggested. Liver dysfunction can be associated with the symptoms which are present in your daughter. Also acanthocytosis is seen in these cases. If you upload the investigation reports, it will be better. Many times it gives us a better idea.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What does presence of blood in the semen suggest
- What does presence of blood in stools mean
- What does presence of patulous in je junction indicate
- Indication of presence of pus cells and red blood cells in urine analysis
- Which is the test to indicate presence of toxoplasmosis
- Does blood in stool indicate the presence of mrsa
- Acanthocytes signet ring red blood cells
- What does presence of albumin in diabetic patient#39s urine indicate
- What does mucus presence in urine analysis indicate
- What does the presence of styphi-o in blood report indicate