• question-icon

What does the knee MRI report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a MRI done on my knee and it says
Partial tear infrapatellar ligament at its patellar junction with possible partial avulsion
And patellofemoral and medial femoral condylar chondromalacia what does this mean and what is the treatment for it
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends upon the degree of involvement

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. In such a case the management will depend on the extent of involvement. An early detection and early intervention is very important in preventing development of disabilities. In case the tear is small the patient may be able to maintain full, active extension and normal patellar height. Such an individual can potentially be treated nonoperatively with immobilization until the tendon has healed. A cast or brace immobilization in full extension for 6 weeks followed by a therapy program to regain motion and strength may be appropriate in such a case. On the other hand, if the extent of tear is more, surgical interventions including autograft might be required. The chronicity of the tear is another factor that must be considered. After approximately 6 weeks, direct repair becomes challenging, if possible at all, with native tissue; other techniques may be necessary to establish continuity of the extensor mechanism. Regardless of the timing, repair or reconstruction is still the optimal treatment. Strengthening exercises should be delayed for at least 3 months but is important to be done thereafter.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha