What does the glomerular filtration rate of 40 indicate?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Just had blood work and doctor said kidney function went from 48 to 40. What does this mean? He said I need to drink more water.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is moderate kindey disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome. If these values are indicating GFR,glom.filtration rate then if there is 40 it means that there is moderate chronic kidney disease and it should not lead to some fast bad consequances but you should check potassium,kreatinin and urea too. YOu need to drink more fluids to facilitate kidney function, avoid salty food and do frequrent follow ups and everything should be fine. Wish you good health- Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon