What does the following ultrasound scan report suggest?
High risk pregnancy
Hi XXXX, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. The report you mentioned indicates complete placenta previa (placenta overlying the internal os). Usually placenta migrates upwards in the uterine cavity as the gestation increases in most of the cases.
Placenta also has multiple lakes, which are usually the collection of blood in placenta in its various cotyledons.Placental lakes are considered to be a normal finding in most cases. However, multiple placental lakes seen early in pregnancy in association with decreased umbilical artery blood flow have been associated with fetal growth restriction. In a patient with placenta previa and previous uterine surgery multiple placental lakes should raise suspicion for placenta accreta or percreta (invasion of placenta in the muscular wall of the uterus)
Uterine fibroid in pregnancy is also a high risk condition and can lead to abortion, intrauterine growth restriction or red degeneration of fibroid.
Yes, you are having a high risk pregnancy with complete placenta previa with a possibility of placenta accreta, and fibroid.
You should have bed rest,restrict your activities, avoid heavy work and avoid intercourse.
A repeat ultrasound should be done at 20-22 weeks to assess the placental location and condition. If still it is low lying, then a MRI needs to be done to rule out placenta accreta or percreta. I both cases(Placenta previa or accreta/percreta), you will have to undergo caesarean section for delivery.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr Deepti Verma
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Explain the ultrasound scan report
- What does the attached pelvic ultrasound report suggest
- Liver ultrasound done what does report suggest
- What does my transvaginal ultrasound and ct scan report suggest
- Pregnant ultrasound done what are the complications suggested in report
- Pregnant ultrasound done what does the report suggest
- Ultrasound scan what does the report indicate
- What does the ultrasound report suggest
- Ultrasound scan done what does the reports suggests
- Had ultrasound scan what are the findings from the report