• question-icon

What does the following ultrasound report?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi,

Recently my wife has undergone an ultrasound and the doctor has observed stones in the gall bladder. The stones were 6 in number . Right now she has no symptoms of pain etc . But doctors have reckoned to go under gall bladder removal surgery as a permanent solution to this. I just want to know is there any other solution to this disease? Or what she should eat/drink or any habitual changes that would help in getting this cured. Our baby is just 10 months old an he can't be too far from his mother. Will it be OK if we delay the surgery to next year?
The stones have been produced after delivery. DOD: August , 2017.

XXXX
+0000
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload the USG scan report,

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Dang,
Thanks for posting your query in HealthcareMagic,

I have gone through your query and can certainly understand your concern,

Since your wife has been diagnosed with gall bladder stones incidentally from a routine ultrasound, I choose to believe that she has never had any symptoms related to gallbladder stones.

Ideally asymptomatic gall bladder stones can be managed conservatively without any surgery as only 10-20% of the patients become symptomatic over the years as per the reports. But in order to comment more on the exact line of management, it would be better if you could upload the scan report so that I can go through the details provided.

Kindly revert back with your reports and post a follow up query,

Awaiting your response,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 1 hour later
Hi doc,

Thanks for the reply!!

I have uploaded the USG report and the annual health checkup report as well. Also she was having some kind of infection last week. I have also attached the reports for same.

From your reply I understand that it may be manageable without surgery as well. I would request you to go through her annual checkup report as well and also suggest some dietary changes that could help her with this.

It would be highly appreciated if you could brief me about the various symptoms for this?

-XXXX

Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below,

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back,

I'm extremely sorry for the delay in replying back,

I have gone through the attached reports and prescription. But the scan image uploaded does not seem to be clear enough for me to be able to comment clearly. It could be better if you upload the report page of the scan done.

Her reports seems to be absolutely perfect apart from the slight increased levels of ALP, which is due to the presence of gallstones.

From the prescription report, I can also see that she is on antibiotic treatment, which is probably for the infection that you have mentioned before.

For now, personally I don't think she is the right candidate for an operative procedure, as only 10-20% of the patients are known to progress to a symptomatic gallstones, as per the studies done. Since she does not seem to have any of the symptoms linked with gall stones(severe abdominal pain, fever, nausea, vomiting, yellowing of the skin due to jaundice, dark urine etc), she can be managed conservatively with dissolving agents such as ursodeoxycholic acid. I would suggest it best for you to discuss with your treating doctor about this option and in case, this fails, another option of gallstones lithotripsy (where the stones can be broken down o very small fragments for its easy passage and dissolution) can be considered.

Meanwhile, I would suggest it best for her to consume a diet free of processed foods, whole-milk dairy products, red meat, fatty foods. Also I would suggest it best for her not shed down all the pregnancy weight at once, rather to do it gradually.

I hope I have answered to your query,

Please feel free to discuss further or else kindly close the query and share your positive feedback,

Kind regards.

Dr. Remy Koshy