What does the following ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 29 Jul 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My Father age 59 on XXXXXXX 27th having abdominal pain at night . Next day morning I consult with Dr and Dr suggest for a USG.

USG report found "cholecystitis gallbladder" (few). Also having fever 101 F.
Dr gave some antibiotic for 5 days and blood test.

Blood Test report was WBC -- 14900 , RBC 10.2 , Billirubin 2.5

After continuing the medicine fever was control now it is normal . No abdominal pain.

Yesterday Blood report showing WBC --- 10300 , But CRP ( Creative Protein ) 28.8 , Billirubin 1.2

My concern due to CRP ( Creative Protein ) 28.8 is there any possibilities of cancer or something major.

Dr told me still some infection is there so need antibiotic more 3 weeks . After that will go for surgery.

Is surgery will required when all infection will remove.

Please let me know , I too much worried about CRP 28.8 because rest of the result are almost normal.
Answered by Dr. Rishi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Raised CRP is normal in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Your father seems to be suffering from Calculous Cholecystitis. An infection of the Gall bladder which has stones within. The usual treatment of gall bladder stones if they lead to pain or other problems is the removal of the Gall bladder by open or Laparoscopic surgery. In cases of active infection of the Gall bladder as in your case it is usually deemed better to give a course of antibiotics first for 2 to 4 weeks and then do Surgery at a later date.
Therefore the teeatment being offered is correct.
As for the CRP - It is a marker of an inflammatory response. It just means that the body is fighting some kind of derangement or infection. In your case it is expected to be high. Therefore do not gel alarmed or worry about it. It is normal to be high in a case of Cholecystitis.
The good thing is that the pain is subsiding and the TLC has come down. I do not think you have anything to worry about.
Get him operated in the next 3 to 6 weeks and all shoud be ok. Continue the antibiotics as adviced.
I would be happy to advice further if required.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E