What does the following thoracic spine MRI report indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had and MRI of thoracic spine. it showed among other things. a large cyst noted in the upper portion of the left kidney, the aorta is diffusely ecstatic, the heart is enlarged, the aorta is ectactic. what does this all mean??
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that these CT findings indicate a dilation of the aorta. It may be mildly dilated or an aneurysm.

For a better study of your aorta, I would recommend an angio CT scan of the aorta, in order to study better its internal wall and precise dimensions.

Regarding your heart, a cardiac ultrasound would give more information on your heart structure and function than a simple chest CT scan.

A cardiac MRI would also help examine better your heart.

Regarding your renal cyst, it is important performing periodically schedulled follow ups every 6 months, in order to see the possible progression of the cysts. Renal function tests are also important to examine your renal function every 6 months.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Thank you for your answer. Do I have to be worried about any of these findings? Especially the heart and aorta?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Yes, I think that your heart and aorta findings are something to be concerned about.

For this reason, I would recommend performing a cardiac ultrasound and an angio CT scan of the aorta.

You should talk with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri