What does the following stool test result indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor,
I recently took a stool test for Fecal calprotectin. The result indicate that the fecal calprotectin is high 266 but in the previous test it was around 204. I am not experiencing diarrhea as such. I used to take acid reducer tablets for my heart burn. My question is what is the root cause for high fecal calprotectin? Would a colonoscopy be necessary?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy can be done to be on safer side.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking question on HealthcareMagic.

Have noted you details and appreciate your concern.
Calprotectin is a stool test that is used to detect inflammation in the intestinal tract .Any condition which causes inflammation of gastric or intestinal mucosa can lead to increased level of Calprotectin in stools.
Inflammation can be associated with, a number of causes For example some bacterial infections or in inflammatory bowel disease or in Gastritis or GERD. As you have history of Heartburn and gastritis most likely cause of elevation of this protein in your case is inflammation of gastric and esophageal mucosa as a result of irritation by acid reflux.
This test is usually used to distinguish patients having symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome from patients with inflammatory bowel disease, with a success rate greater than with currently used other invasive techniques.
Though you have not mentioned the symptoms for which this test has been prescribed to you,Yet i would suggest you to go for a colonoscopy to rule out chances of inflammatory bowel disease(to be on safer side).
In case you need any other information,I would be happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana