What does the following stool test report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My baby is 7 and a half months old. His birth weight was 2.57 kg and he is now approx 7.5 kg. His diet consists of:
Cerelac rice (stage 1) in the morning
Rice with mashed potato, dal (lentil), and papaya as lunch
Cerelac wheat (stage 1) in the evening
Rice with mashed potato, dal (lentil), and papaya as dinner
Besides these, he breast feeds as and when required. He also has water after every meal. Recently, we had his stool checked for routine examination as for the past one and a half months his poop colour has been green on many occasions. I am uploading the copy of the report. Please let me know if his stool report is fine or if there's something we need to worry about.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stool report is normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I have seen the stool report. It is completely normal stool report. Nothing to worry about it.

Passing of greenish stools is normal in this age group. Sometimes they may pass after every feed also. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use any drugs or antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhea.

Regar4ds - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 7 minutes later
Thanks doctor for replying to our query. Just wanted to ask the exact reason for the green colour of the poop. Is it happening due to the change in diet from breast milk to solids?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is due to the helpgul bacteria in the gut

Detailed Answer:
Hi...it is due to the helpful bacteria in the gut which causes this color. It is quite normal. Do not worry.

IT IS NOT DUE TO SOLID FEEDING.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology