• question-icon

What does the following spine MRI report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi doctor. I just received a c spine MRI result that found a thickened transverse ligament contacting the cervical medullary junction. No signal found. Wanted to understand if this represents a danger to brain stem, flow of cerebral fluid, or risk of ischemic event. Also , symptoms are weakness and numbness in legs and arms, and headaches especially in back. Are there non surgical treatments, or minimally invasive treatments? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the MRI report/images.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is necessary to upload the MRI report and DICOM images in order to understand better your condition and give you a correct answer.

Regarding your description, there seems to be no danger to the brainstem, since the thickening is located below (anatomically speaking).

However, if significant compression on the cervical medullary junction, some of your symptoms may be justified.

About the need for surgery or not, again, it is necessary for me to examine the MRI report or images first.

Awaiting...........
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 11 hours later
Ok. I'll be able to access the report Monday morning. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Talk to you after the MRI upload.

Detailed Answer:
Okay then.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 20 hours later
The verbatim quote from the MRI: Thickened posterior transverse ligament at the c1 level which contacts the central aspect of the cervical medullary junction. No significant deformity of the cord at this level. No signal abnormality cetvical medullary junction. C6 root sleeve cysts present bilaterally. No central or lateral stenosis. Meanwhile I have numbness and weakness in extremities a lot of discomfort in neck. Wondering if there is danger and if any non surgical interventions could help. Do not have access to images at the moment. Thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
I don't see any extreme danger here.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for the MRI report.

I don't see any condition that needs emergent treatment there, since there is only effacement,but no damage of the spinal cord ( malatia ).

Temporary immobilization with a cervical collar ( two months ) may be an alternative of surgery.

Sleeve cysts also may be responsible for symptoms, but this should be confirmed after correlation between imaging findings and neurological examination.

If these cysts are found responsible for the symptoms, aspiration with punction may be necessary.

Discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical