What does the following sperm analysis report indicate?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Infertility Problem
Question: hi there, I received sperm results for my husband and wanted to understand them. We are trying to conceive .

colour: opaque
liquefaction: complete
viscosity: slightly increased
ph: 8.5
volumen: 1.5
concentration (X10/ml) 90
progressive motility 48
non-progressive motility 1.0
vitality (%) not applicable
agglutination: nil
round cells (x10/ml) <1.0
debris ++
morphology (%) 2.00
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Semen analysis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
It was nice of you to send the pic of report.
From the analysis I presume that,there may be some infection in his genital tract. The viscosity is slightly increased along with pH.
Normal Sperm (morphilogy ) according to WHO guidelines lines should be more than 4%.
Hence I suggest for an andrology consultation to rule out any infection or other correctable causes like varicocele or gonadotrophic factors.
Semen analysis should be repeated after 3 months.
Hope my answer helps you. Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for your response. Would this effect our chances of getting pregnant? Do you know what the fertility score would be at this state?
Do you think we would need to go for IUI procedure?
IN terms of an infection, is that just something you can treat? I ovulate at the end of the month and would like to give us the best chance of success.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Semen analysis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Definitely there are treatable causes and after that semen parameters improves, but will know only after consultation with an XXXXXXX
IUI depends up on duration of infertility and both of your fertility factors.Fertility potential is not satisfactory with this morphology during intercourse. IUI can be considered if no other treatable causes are detected .
Hope you are convinced. Regards
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 23 hours later
Thank you. Is there any chance that this could just be a dodgey test? And that we should do it again?
If it was an infection, is it just fixed by antibiotics?
I just ask as my husband had a test done a few years ago (around 10) and he had really strong results.
He still isnt back from overseas so I havent discussed the results with him yet.
Why would we not just straight to the IUI option if the above is not easily fixed?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Semen analysis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
Definitely you can repeat the test.But if he has infection treating it will improve the sperm and IUI results also.For that he should consult an XXXXXXX or urologist. Some time he may have to take antibiotic for more than 3 to 4 weeks.
Hope you are convinced. Feel free to ask your doubts with more details. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj