What does the following sonogram report indicate?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My 59 year old husband fell off a ladder 2 mths ago and had a sonagram due to a pain he had on his right side. the sonogram showed a spot on his dialetd liver and a enlarge spleen,and something with his gall bladder< he's going to have a ct scan, does this sound like cancer ? and can the spleen be enlarge due to his fall?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

i read your question and i understand your concern. Spot on the liver via sonogram is a vague term by sonographist and needs to be further evaluated for which CT abdomen has been prescribed. Its too early to comment on the etiology. It could be any thing. Dilated liver and spleen has many causes, all need to be ruled out. Portal system, esophageal varices, acute infections, gall stones, hemolysis of blood cells , many causes that can cause these two visceral structure to swell. It needs complete work up , liver functions studies, CT abdomen and proceed accordingly. Its too early to tag a patient to cancer when there are so many benign pathologies to consider first. So i would suggest stay optimistic, hope for the best and keep doing the work up as suggested by your doctor.

I hope it helps. take good care of your hubby and yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan