What does the following shoulder MRI report indicate?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had rotator cuff surgery 2 yrs ago and C6 C7 fused this last April. I am having muscle spasms in my shoulder and neck area. Just had a new mri of my shoulder and the findings:
There is mild thickening of distal supraspinatus tendon at the level of the mild tendinous junction. However there is no evidence a tear. Glenohumeral joint there is a small joint effusion.
Impression: Postsurgical changes of the left shoulder. No evidence of a rotator cuff tear. There is thinning supraspinatus tendon distally at the level of the myotendinous junction. Small joint effusion.
Does this mean that there is nothing wrong and that I am stuck with the pain and muscle spasms that I have been having for the last 2 yrs
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing wrong in the surgery or shoulder joint.

Detailed Answer:
The muscle spasms in the neck and shoulder area that you are having can be due to a minor nerve root irritation or due to inflammatory changes seen in the tendon. These can happen due to muscle stiffness caused by a wrong posture. You need regular strengthening exercises to maintain the proper tone of muscles and take oral muscle relaxants after consulting your orthopedician. Doing a hot compress in the area will also help in relaxing the stiff muscles.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
I have been doing therapy with more pain associated with the more we do. I am also use lidocaine patches, flexerol, and have toradol that I take almost daily. I am a very active person that lives and works on a farm. I can not do the work that is needed to be done daily because of the pain and muscle spasms. This has been going on for more than 2 yrs since I was drug by a 600 pound cow that I was leading by my left arm for about 50 feet. Was thought that I only slightly tore my rotator and had it fixed by pain on the backside of my shoulder and neck area got worse. Sent to neurosurgeon and had c6 c7 fused almost a year ago. Now released by neuro back to ortho because of the shoulder pain. I can not work is there anything else we should be checking for. I am tired of not being able to help out because of the pain associated with lifting, carrying, pulling, etc.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be nerve irritation at cervical spine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The persistent pain in the shoulder and spasms can be due to further degenerative changes in the cervical spine. You need a neurologist to take care. Some nerve related issue is more likely and medicines like pregabalin and gabapentin can help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
But my neurologist/neurosurgeon cleared me and sent me back to the orthopedic. I just don't understand I have unexplained pain that prohibits me from lifting, doing chores, I have trouble sitting or standing for periods of time, numbness in arm and fingers, muscle spasms and have trouble sleeping. From what my MRI is saying that there is no problems from my shoulder area at all from my previous rotator surgery. is there anything else that can cause this to the back side of my shoulder/neck area
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Related to nerve issues.

Detailed Answer:
The muscle spasms and numbness in arm and fingers is a nerve related issue. The symptoms can improve with medicines like pregabalin and methylcobalamin supplements. This is not related to rotator surgery that you had. These symptoms are related to cervical issues. You can take a second opinion of another neurologist.
Regards.