What does the following semen analysis report indicate?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Semen analysis:

Time of collection. 9:30 am ( delayed liquifaction
Period of abstinence : 5 days
Quantity : 2 ml
Appearance : opaque
Odour: XXXXXXX
Reaction: alkaline
Fructose test: positive

Total sperm count: 25 million per ml
Motil
On collection : 30 percent
One hour after collection : 25 percent.

Total abnormal sperm: 30 percent

Pus cell: nil
Red blood cells : nil.
Dr pls advise me on the above report. Also regarding delay Liquefaction time.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Accessory gland infection is first reason along with dehydration

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query and sorry for delayed reply.
I found the semen analysis report to be normal. It is according to the standard normal ranges followed within subcontinent.
You had not mentioned the liquefaction time if it is more than one hour etc. Also you had not mentioned how long this report was given. If it was quite sometime since the report it is better to redo the test as liquefaction gets corrected without treatment.
Liquefaction time is delayed in case of dehydration and infection of the accessory glands in men.
It is better to improve hydration, stop alcohol and smoking (if you do) and get Culture and sensitivity of the semen. If there is a proven infection on the report it should be dealt as infection of the accessory gland which releases the substances to liquefy the semen.
Besides some physicians also treat with antioxidants like Selenium, Vitamin E supplements. The effectiveness is not very beneficial.

I suggest the next step should be C&S of the semen after three days of abstinence.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana