What does the following semen analysis report indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi,
I need a your help to understand my husbands semen analysis.
Time specimen collected: 11:35am
time specimen examined: 12:05pm

pH. 8.0
Volume : 3.8ml
colour: grey white
Viscosity: normal
Liquefaction time: more than 3 hrs not liquified

total sperm count: 32.6 million/ml

sperm motility evaluation After liquefaction at 37 degrees celsius
within 1 hr
progressively motile 60%
Non progressively motile 20%
Immotile 20%

Morphology
normal sperms 70%
Abnormal sperms 30%

Cellular elements
Pus cells: 16-25/hpg
Red blood cells: 11-15/hpg

The liquefaction time, pus cells and RBC is worrying me as the semen test done previously shows liquefaction time as 30 mins.
And there were 1-2 Pus cells
and no Red blood cells.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your husband has semen infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your husband's report in detail.
His semen analysis report suggests infection.
Infection is indicated by the presence of pus cells in semen and increased liquefaction time. Normally there shouldn't be any pus cells in semen.Liquefaction time is increased due to infection.
Infection has been deteriorated in his case as compared to previous study as previously there were only 1-2 Pus cells and it is now 16-25 pus cells.
Infection may be due to prostatitis,UTI.
He need antibiotics for infection.
Your husband need few more investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,Ultrasound of pelvis should be done.Trans rectal sonography of prostate can be done if needed.
Proper antibiotics should be prescribed depending upon sensitivity report.

Other factors are within normal limit.

He has normal sperm motility.Sperm motility should be at least 55 %.
Sperm count is also normal.It should be at least 20 millions /ml.
Sperm morphology,pH and viscosity are also normal.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for your reply.
We have been trying to conceive for a long time and have just started Acupuncture and chinese herbal medicines. The previous report was done after one month of acupuncture and TCM.
Below is the report done a month back which is before doing accupuncture and TCM.

Last month's report was as follows:
Time produced 12:05 pm
time of analysis 12:45pm

Volume 3ml
Viscosity: Vis+1 (can't read this clearly as this report was hand written)
Density/ml : 26m/ml
motility %: 15%
Progression: (2) -3/4
Abnormality%: 80%
Type of abnormalities: double tails, amorphous forms (what does this mean), tapering forms, midpeice abn, round heads, hooked heads, displaced heads.

General appearance: 0+111

Is there an improvement from this report ?
What are the reason s for infection in the semen?
He hasn't had this before as all his previous tests showed 30 mins liquefaction and 0 to 1-2 Pus cells.

Once before I do remember him having a UTI when we were on vacation in South Korea in 2013. Where There was bold in the urine. He took antibiotics for it. (Zinnat)
We have had one failed ICSI where out of 5 eggs 4 didn't fertilize and only one split into 2 cells. Did a 5 day transfer.
We are looking into doing another IVF cycle and want to try our best to make it work.
Ive had an early miscarriage 3 years back at 5 1/2 weeks.
Would Really appreciate any feedback or questions you may have for us.

Thanks alot
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

As compare to previous report there is improve in the status of motility and morphology of sperms but there is increase in infection.

Earlier,motility was 15 % and now motility has improved to 80 %.
Earlier abnormal morphology was 80 % and now abnormal sperms are 30 %.

Earlier pus cells were 1-2 and now it is 16-25.
It suggests increase in infection.It may be due to UTI, prostatitis etc.It is not very concerning.It is completely treatable condition.Your husband need culture and sensitivity of semen so that proper antibiotics can be prescribed.
He should also go for other investigations discussed earlier.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari