What does the following liver test report indicate?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Please can u guide me after seeing the report, that it can be recovered through medicines or a liver transplant is in need ? which stage of liver cirrhosis is this ?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Elastography is needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can understand your concern here.

I have worked through your reports.

Based on your reports, you possibly seem to possess moderately severe hepatitis.

Could possibly relate to underlying alcoholism.

The phase of liver disease cannot be anticipated on these tests alone.

For accurate staging and possibility of reversal, I advise you to take up another test known as Elastography.

This can accurately predict the risk and severity of cirrhosis.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 22 minutes later
We did a ultrasound last month it came as liver cirhosis with dilated portal vein and mild splenomegaly
Brief Answer:
Confirmed liver Cirrhosis.Update me INR test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can understand your concerns though.

Ultrasound is a very investigation to diagnose liver cirrhosis.

Dilated portal vein and mild splenomegaly indicate the early development of portal vein hypertension.

The severity of Liver Cirrhosis can be calculated through 4 blood parameters like Albumin, Bilirubin, Creatinine and INR(international normalised ratio). This is calculated by the MELD score system. This can indirectly assess the need for liver transplantation.

Hence, I advise you get an INR by blood sample for the calculation of MELD score.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar