• question-icon

What does the following liver sonogram report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: A sonogram showed a coarsened liver parenchymal echotexture. XXXXXXX longitudinal diameter of 12.5 cm; small in size. no disctrete liver mass. What's up? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to alcoholic liver disease causing fatty liver or cirrhosis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The first thing that I need to ask is whether the affected person is an alcoholic. Coarsened hepatic echotexture is a sonographic descriptor where there uniform smooth hepatic echotexture of the liver is lost. This can occur due to number of reasons including hepatic fibrosis, chronic hepatitis, diffusely infiltrating hepatic metastases or metabolic abnormalities like hepatic amyloidosis or glycogen storage disease. I would strongly urge you to upload the full report. You can upload the attachments using the facility on the upper right of this page. Alternatively you can email the attachments to YYYY@YYYY with the query id 337700 and my name mentioned in the subject. I would await your response. Based on your inputs I would guide you further.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 54 minutes later
Due to a number of years on methotrexate for crohn's disease
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Methotrexate is known to be damaging to the liver.

Detailed Answer:
That could indeed have fried the liver. Methotrexate is known to be damaging to the liver.

Let me know what specifically you seek to know from me and I would guide you accordingly.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
What is the effect of this situation on me? What, in your opinion, should I do and/or not do? How bad is a drink a day? Thanks for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
The situation calls for strict lifestyle modification

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I assume that the report is yours. In such a case I would strongly insist on complete abstinence from alcohol if possible. The liver is already in a compromised condition. Any additional load on it should be removed. Taking even a drink a day would gradually worsen the situation even further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha