What does the following liver function test report indicate?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My liver function test become abnormal Alt 96 (9-60 normal) and Ast 41(10-40 normal) since I was taking Norvasc for 3 month. Is it possible or just coincidence? Is Norvasc metabolize in liver?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

I found the following information from livertox.nih.gov (in other words from a National Institute of Health site on liver toxicity for health professionals):

---------------------

"Chronic therapy with amlodipine is associated with a low rate of serum enzyme elevations at rates that are similar to matched control populations. The enzyme elevations are usually mild, transient and asymptomatic and may resolve even during continued therapy. Clinically apparent liver injury from amlodipine is rare and described only in isolated case reports. In the few idiosyncratic cases reported, the latency period to onset of liver injury was usually 4 to 12 weeks, but examples with prolonged latency have also been published (10 months and several years). The latency period is shorter with recurrence on reexposure, including several instances of recurrence after liver injury due to other calcium channel blockers. The pattern of serum enzyme elevations is usually mixed or cholestatic. Rash, fever and eosinophilia have not been described and autoantibodies are not typical.

The severity of liver injury from amlodipine ranges from mild and transient serum enzyme elevations to self-limited jaundice. Complete recovery is expected after stopping the drug and recovery is usually rapid (4 to 8 weeks). Cases with chronic or fulminant liver injury due to amlodipine have not been reported. Little information is available on recurrence with rechallenge but there may be some degree of cross-sensitivity to hepatotoxicity with other calcium channel blockers."

---------------
So this means that although Amlodipine is metabolized by the liver, liver damage is not typically seen. And that mild liver enzyme elevations may occur with Amlodipine but may be transient, and are typically reversible with discontinuation.

Your AST is ok (borderline elevation), the ALT is slightly increased. It may be from he Norvasc, but could be from other medications (including Tylenol/acetaminophen) or alcohol. But if the only thing that has changed in your life has been the Norvasc (i.e. no other medications, no weight gain, no alcohol), then I would suspect the Norvasc. Whether to discontinue it and change to a different medication or just monitor your liver enzymes is something for you and your doctor to consider.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.